http://www.makepovertyhistory.org
 

Ephemeral Visions of A Dream

Isn't it funny how dreams are so vivid and surreal when you're asleep but then when you wake up everything you've dreamt of fades into a gradual blur. Others remember their dreams so well that when they wake up they can tell you minute details of it. For me though it isn't. I can't even remember most, if not all of my dreams. But I do remember, as a child, dreaming of black and white cartoons. My dreams were like channels on TV where I can switch at will the things I wanted to see. For a few minutes I would be dreaming of Tom and Jerry (I remember having nightmares after watching the episode were Tom died and he was given an hour to reconcile with Jerry or else he goes to hell) then I would dream of Mickey and his gang, then switch to other animated characters.

As I grew up my dreams started to revolve around the people I see everyday. I would dream of regular days in the classroom, or at home, or in a different place elsewhere. There are times during casual conversations with my friends when everything seemed so familiar and I would stop and tell myself that this happened before. Did it happen before? Talk about dejavu. Maybe I saw it in my dreams. I don't know if it's just me but my dreams are totally made up of random events. It doesn't have a storyline and for most of the time it doesn't make any sense. You see people in your dreams. You talk to them as if they were real. As if everything that is happening is real. You see the world in a first person mode but there are also times that like in films, the camera just zooms out and you see yourself with the others.

I had these kind of dreams once. But lately it's like every time I go to sleep my mind just fades to black. Consciously I could conjur up images but that only happens minutes before I fall asleep. It's like nowadays I don't dream at all. It's a fact though that normal people dream every night. Dreaming is the brain's way of reorganizing itself and it happens during a stage they call REM (Rapid Eye Movement) sleep. Based on that I cannot not dream every night, if you know what I mean. But why can't I remember what I have dreamt?

I once came across the site of a blogger who recorded her dreams. Once of her posts dealt with why people do not remember what they have dreamt. She said that most of us are in such a hurry in life that when we wake up we immediately get out of our beds and onto our daily routines. She, on the other hand, gave herself five minutes or so to reflect on her dreams and jotted them down on paper as she recalled it. Believe me I tried doing this but whenever I have my reflections my eyes simply close and I fall asleep again. I wake up 30 minutes or an hour later not knowing that such an amount of time had already past. Looking at my cellphone's clock I realize that I am totally late for school. Forget the reflections, I need to get my butt off the bed lest I want to be marked tardy in my attendance.

I want to remember my dreams. I want to get a glimpse of a world created by my subconcious mind. I want to view my life in another perspective, however distorted or random it may be. This is why I make such a big deal out of it. For those who remember their dreams so well, I envy you. But I may as well be contented with that fact that I do dream even if I don't remember it. It makes me the same as any other normal human being on this planet. Tonight, I will dream. Tomorrow, hopefully, I get to talk about it.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment