http://www.makepovertyhistory.org
 

Family Reunions

You've got to love family reunions. Lots of faces, lots of food, and oh yeah, more food. Compliments of Ernie Barron, who was generous enough to buy a hundred or so lauriats from Chow King to feed the entire clan. He happened to be a relative, being the son of the sister of my father's mother. I used to brag about Ernie Barron being my relative to my classmates and they would usually look at me with a "so what?!" written on their faces. Anyway, it was a big get-together with Barron families, who I hardly know of, on one side, and a handful from the Espiritus, who I also hardly know of, on the other. Yes, I am a stranger amongst my own relatives. I don't know them, but some of them do know me, and they would comment, "Oh, so you're chong Nestor's son, the last time I saw you, you were this small," and they would place their hands, palm open, at knee height. It's a sad thing, not knowing your own relatives. But when my father gets here I'll make sure he introduces me to every one of them.

We left early because my sisters still has to meet with one of their classmates who'll be leaving for the U.S. for good. We rode on a bus to Manila and got down Vito Cruz street. Manila was unusually quiet. I was caught off-guard by the silence because it's a rare thing. Every now and then a jeep would pass by, but other than that, the street was empty. Everything was closed, even the LRT lines. The people must have gone away to the provinces this Lenten season. Instead of the usual cacophony of the city during the early afternoon, all you can hear is the wind slapping your face. It is a welcoming change, given that it only happens once in a while. Somehow I wished Manila would stay this way, peaceful and quiet. Tomorrow is a different story though.

--------------
Much has happened during the two week hiatus on my blog. Last week alone I've done things I've never done before. It's nothing much but to me it's a major leap outside my comfort zone and this time it is not for myself or my benefit. Physically it was tiring, I was craving for my bed so much that I dream about it. But in the end, the joy of service surmounts everything, and I end up feeling happy and blessed. God is good, no doubt about it!
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment