http://www.makepovertyhistory.org
 

The Aftermath

"You have to take risks. We will only understand the miracle of life fully when we allow the unexpected to happen."

--By The River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept: by Paulo Coelho

October 25
-------------------------

A text from my blockmate woke me up.

Jc, 4 ka daw sa math. Ngyn ung remvals 10 am.

After reading it I shook my head and went back to sleep. It was already 8 in the morning and I had no plans to take my removals. I reasoned out to myself that Math will always be my weakness and what better way to learn it than to take it all up again. With that thought in my head I went back to sleep - carefree. Moments later my phone rang. I answered it. Alma was on the other line asking me if I would take the removals. I said the same excuse I gave myself but she wasn't convinced. She said that if I don't pass Math I wouldn't be able to take Physics and Chemistry this coming semester. I told her that I was planning to shift and Physics and Chemistry is not part of the PolSci curriculum so it's no use taking the removals now. Still she wasn't convinced. She told me that if I missed this one chance to get a passing grade my transcript will forever be marked. That caught my attention. Having a grade of 5 in my TOR may affect my chances in shifting to another course so I told her that I'll be on my way. I got up, changed my clothes, and without even taking breakfast I left. This would be the first time I would take an exam unprepared.

When I arrived I saw Alma, Jessy, and Paula sitting on the floor near the CAS registrar. It was 9:45 and I breathed out a sigh of relief. Just when I thought that things will be okay Alma asked, "Pare, may permit ka na ba?" I answered, "What permit?" She explained that before we could take the removals we should have a permit from the College of Dentistry. I have 15 minutes left and CD is a block away from CAS so if I want to make it on time for the removals I better start running. So I ran all the way to Taft Avenue, rode a jeep, ran a short distance to the CD, fill out some of the forms, got the permit, and finally I got on a jeep. Luckily I made it on time. Jessy and Paula were leaving when I got to the entrance. They both wished me luck. I knew I needed more than luck.

GAB 105. The proctor was already handing out the exams when I arrived. I took deep breaths and when I got the exam I browsed it over. The exam was easy compared to the previous departmental exams but considering that I didn't study it was also quite hard. It took a lot of trial and error for me to answer most of the questions. In the end logic and common sense paved the way for me to get sure answers. As I passed my paper it dawned to me the great what-ifs in life. What if I never took the exam? I surely would have missed my chance and in the end I would be left with a deep sense of regret. Good thing though I took it. I have Alma, my ever so kindred friend, to thank for.

October 26
-------------------------

Crescense. She's got the saddest eyes I've ever seen. When I first met her I asked her, "Why do you cry?" She looked on as if she never heard a word I said.

October 27
-------------------------

We decided to let Crescense sleep in my room and for two nights she kept me awake. She wakes up ever other hour and then she yelps waking me up from my slumber. I have to watch over her untill she goes back to sleep. We bonded though in these past few nights. I would scratch her behind her ear singing a lullaby as I lulled her to sleep. Sleep. In a 24 hour time span, 14 of it she spends sleeping. She reminds me of myself. If you ask my sisters they would tell you that we are so alike. Maybe that's why I feel a connection with her. Who knows?
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment